MARI

Thursday, March 5, 2009

I wanted to do cartwheels....

... when I came upon this scene in my bedroom last week (or was it two weeks ago by now?).  One of my greatest joys as a mom is to see my kids with nose-in-book.  Please note the title; yes, it is Wuthering Heights.

The Bean had been back in my room reading for twenty minutes or so when I walked through the door, saw what was happening, and then slowly, slowly backed out of the room attempting to avoid discovery.  Too late.  His Mom-Alert sensor had sounded, and without looking up, he asked, "Mom, is this a ghost story?"  Knowing his reading preferences, I said without hesitation, "Yes!  Yes, it is a ghost story.  A very famous ghost story."  And then got out of there fast.

Alas, he lost interest a while later, as any seven-year-old would.  Even with thirty years of reading experience, I have to concentrate hard on Wuthering Heights.  And I know he'll probably have to be at least twenty-seven before he'll want to try it again.

But you could read (or re-read) it.  Right now.  For those who haven't had the pleasure, it's a heart-wrenching love story (and yes, you could consider it a ghost story...... in a way).  Its particular power, in my opinion, is in its characters who are flawed and even sometimes despicable - but whom I can't help but love and feel compassion toward.  I will leave you with a taste of this stellar book: its lovely and haunting closing lines (don't worry, no spoiler here):

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky; watched the moths fluttering among the heath and hare-bells; listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass; and wondered how anyone could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."


P.S.  If you live anywhere near South-of-the-River, try Sixth Chamber Used Books.  I bought this copy there for less than $3. 



No comments:

Post a Comment