skip to main |
skip to sidebar
- Rome Day 1
I have crossed the half-way point in my journey through Europe . . . kinda feel funny about that.
I recently arrived back to the Kartause from my ten day pilgrimage in Rome and Assisi. I experienced so much and in so many ways. It was a great pilgrimage, very grace filled. If I can get it all worked out, I will post one day each day about my trip rather than trying to put ten days in a long blog. I know I will not be able to say everything that happened or be able to express it properly, but I will do my best
So Day One.
We arrived in Rome that morning by traveling through the night by bus. I usually sit on the bus with Rebecca on trips - her and I have a good system for that - but it did not work out that way. It was still a good night, though. At Hotel Gelsomino, I was on the fourth floor. I very much enjoyed the view. In the distance I could see and hear hens and roosters - it was a taste of home.
It was free time till Mass that evening so I went with my friend, Anna, to "conquer Rome" as was a joke between her and I. Anna went to Rome about five years ago so she was familiar with Rome. Knowing that we would be at the Vatican the next day, she took me to some other things. She took me to the Spanish steps. Many people hand there and at night young people tend to hang there. Anna told me some funny stories about her previous trip. We went to the Trevi Fountain
; later in the trip I learned that about 3,000€ is put in the fountain a day, and it is given to the poor. And before that a man used to collect money from the fountain every night and they thought he was a government worker - but he was not.
After that it was time to meet up with Anna's friend, Collin, who is studying in Rome this year. We met at the Pantheon and then he took us around and showed us some cultural things.
As a group, we ate dinner together every night at our hotel. I really enjoyed that. Just to be with other students and leaders and to hear about what they did during the day. I also enjoyed it because I was able to talk more with the students and get to know them better because sometimes that is difficult when we are all studying. That particular night was not as enjoyable for I got sick, but I still enjoyed the night.
Overall, it was a good day to relax, recover from the long bus ride, and prepare for the spiritual journey that was to take place the next days.
No comments:
Post a Comment