I'm a Mormon. A proud one. The last year has been a tough one to swallow when it comes to my religion. So much criticism. So much ignorance. It just makes my heart ache. Especially when I find that the things I hold sacred are being mocked on every hand. I've been trying really hard to not let it get me too worked up; we've been asked to conduct ourselves with dignity and thoughtfulness. So it is with dignity and thoughtfulness that I no longer sit quietly and express my feelings to you.
Sometimes I feel like a defensive linebacker. Just me against a world of opposition. I can only imagine how Joseph Smith felt. Joseph Smith was a 14 year old boy when he knelt in a grove of trees and said a prayer asking to know the truth. He received an answer. (For the full story of Joseph Smith, click here.) The rest of his life, he faced heart ache and persecution. Satan works the hardest against the things that are true. So in some ways, I find solace in the opposition. It only seems to embed my testimony of the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints deeper into my heart. I had to work very hard to keep that testimony of mine, to learn the truth, to test it. It doesn't come easy. It's not suppose to.
Most of you have heard about Big Love's upcoming episode airing this Sunday with scenes that include mock temple ceremonies, something we hold very sacred. (To read the church's official statement concerning Big Love, click here.) When I heard, I was just sick about it. And angry. But I realized that anger is not the Lord's way. Love is. It seems people value freedom of speech more than they do kindness. I also realized once again that even thru trial and persecution and criticism, truth prevails. Truth comes off conquerer. Truth will rise despite opposition even if the odds seems small. I heard someone say that "we are no longer a church in 1830 with a membership of 6." There are millions of Latter-day Saints all over the world who believe as well. My feelings are like Joseph's when he said the following:
The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, and calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth bodly, nobly and independent, until it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country and sounded in every ear, til the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say, the work is done.
I am proud to be a member of the restored gospel here on earth, with a prophet, and apostles, and continued revelation just like there always has been. I hope for tolerance and kindness no matter what faith you belong to or what you believe.
May truth always stand firm in the face of opposition. I will always be there to stand with it.
PS: I also believe in taking what action you can. To send an email to HBO requesting they not air Big Love's Sunday episode, please click here.

No comments:
Post a Comment