MARI

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Five objects in a frame



Acrylic on wood 10" x 10" £85 plus postage & packing

For me still lives have to be “still” and yet the objects within them should still have “life”. The sense of peace and quiet which enveloped me while I was painting this was so deep that despite being quite deaf I heard the postman knocking on the door two floors down (I'm laughing but it's true).
I wanted to give the objects some care and respect. I hope this does not come across as photo-realism but rather attention to detail and “fit” within the whole framework of the painting. When I look at this at the side of most other people's paintings I realise how neutral my colours are but when I look at it on its own it seems to have some life and meaning – at least for me.
Finally a subject I liked at school, despite failing miserably at anything “mathematical” was geometry. I loved the lines and the angles. Sometimes when I create an angular shape in painting I even calculate in my head how many degrees it might be. The other thing this painting reminds me of is that during my short time at art school I loved sculpture – shape and form. Some of my favourite Picasso works are his paintings of monumental figures, particularly women, heavy and sculpted, like Henry Moore’s statues often seated majestically around the English countryside. I like that and it came into my mind again as I worked on the folds of the fabric at the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment