Before you continue reading, I want to say that so many things happened this weekend. I saw and did so many things. I will not come even sort of close to saying everything I did this weekend, otherwise this would be many pages long; however, I will touch on a few things.
We arrived at Czestoshowa
Got there 15 till 6am and made it to the shrine to see the unveiling of Our lady of Czestochowa. At 6am, there were loud trumpets and she was unveiled slowly. It was a big deal. We left right after for breakfast, but came back as soon as we were done. We had some spare time before Mass to see the shrine and pray. I could say so many things, but I will share just one experience. In one of the smaller parts, but definitely not less elaborate, was where Our Lady of Czestochowa was kept. Starting on te back left you could see railing a few feet wide that was lined around three sides of the chapel, including behind the altar. Behind/above the altar was where Our Lady was kept. The tradition of the people was to crawl on their knees praying or saying rosaries. Even older ladies crawled for our Lord and Lady. Students could choose to do the same. I did. It was very powerful to do this. I was forced to be on my knees at a slow pace. There was a lot of time for reflection and prayer. When you get past the altar it is a sort of hallway and our lady is right on the other side of one of the awlls, visible on the other side, just not behind it. We were able to stop there and pray for a few moments. I prayed for specific things as well as my parish family, just like Deacon Palms told me to wherever I went. In general, it is not easy to do that on your knees; it is a hard floor. For me it was a little difficult for I hurt my knee when I was skiing a few weeks ago (Momma, do not worry, I will be fine) so it swells just a little when I kneel too long, but that was more of a sacrifice and help me to focus not on my self, but Our Lord and what He wants.
After Mass, we drove to Auschwitch and Birkenau to see the concentration camps. I realize that children read what I write; therefore, I will not discuss details about this experience. I will say that it was very powerful and much different seeing this in person, rather than reading history books about it. Awful.
On Saturday we spent the day in Krakow, first having a tour by Polish tour guides starting at the Cathedral and ending in the main square. We then had free time on our own. I went to a Franciscan Church where John Paul II prayed daily as a bishop. I knelt right where he knelt, and I prayed where he prayed. Seth, John Paul II sat one pew in front where you sit.
After that, I was fortunate and so grateful to get some time to myself for a few hours. I sort of accidently got separated from my group. I wanted to do different things from them anyways, so it was alright. I enjoy being with others, but it was really nice to be allowed to be quiet and not have to talk. In the Kartause, it is very difficult to be alone and I was ready for time with just God and me - for an extended period of time with no interruptions. It was good to walk around Krakow. I went to several churches and was able to go to a crypt in one of them and see a tomb of a bishop in the 1600s as well as other tombs.
On Saturday afternoon we went to the Divine Mercy Shrine and saw the image that Saint Faustina saw. The painting was incredible to see in person.On Sunday we went to High latin Mass in the Cathedral in Krakow. After that we headed to Wadowice, the birthplace of John Paul II. It was a privledge to be here.
It was cold in Poland. It snowed almost the entire time. My hair froze twice - that was a new experience.
MARI
Monday, February 16, 2009
-Polska
Niech będzie pochwalony Jezus Chrystus!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment