MARI

Saturday, February 7, 2009

30 going on three


Someone around here is turning 30 today and he’s not too happy about it. I’m not sure why – I think 30 sounds very distinguished. That may be because I’m not yet 30.

To celebrate all things young, childlike and not remotely thirtyish, I decided to bake a birthday cake worthy of a three year old. Cake decorating is decidedly NOT my strong suit. I have shaky hands, no sense of artistry and the fine motor skills of an actual three year old. So for me, this was a pretty decent effort.

Underneath the buttercream frosting, brilliantly coloured by my sister’s Wilton paste food colouring (this stuff was a total revelation for me - I will never go back to liquid), is the birthday boy’s favourite coconut cake.

Happy 30th birthday, Edward!



Coconut Cake
From Vegetarian Classics by Jeanne Lemlin

1 1/2 cups all purpose / plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cups milk
1 1/4 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Beat again until well combined. Add half the flour mixture and half the milk, beat and then repeat with the remaining flour and milk. Stir in coconut.

Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes in an 8 inch pan. If you use a 9 inch pan, bake for about ten minutes less.

Buttercream Frosting
This is a very stable frosting which is really easy to work with and good for decorating. This makes enough to frost an 8 inch layer cake.

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup shortening
3-4 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
good squeeze of lemon juice

1/2 cup whiping cream

Cream the butter and shortening with an electric mixer, or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, until it's well-aerated and light and fluffy. Add the first 2 cups of icing sugar and cream until well blended. Add the vanilla, salt, lemon juice and half the whipping cream and blend on low speed. Add as much of the remaining sugar and cream as necessary to make a thick, smooth frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment